Friday, February 20, 2009

Rexy's Thai - very cool

On my way from one place to another Tuesday, I decided to stop at Rexy's Bangkok Cuisine, large and ornate, tucked in the big strip mall at 13 and Woodward. It was pretty empty, so I got seated, alone, right away.

I have to eat out often by myself for work, and sometimes, the Panera thing will do. Soup, sandwich, with others eating alone, save laptops and cell phones. I used to be someone that never ate alone. EVER. I would take it to go, eat in the car, whatever. But it was cold, and the smell of curry wafted out the door as I walked in. YUM.

Rexy's must be used to single diners. The waitress, with her trainee, was very attentive, nice, and prompt. The vegetable curry was great - not too spicy, not too bland, and the jasmine rice was fluffy, yet every grain was singular and not clumped together. The fried tofu was still a little soft on the inside, which is so much better than the tough chewy stuff you sometimes get.

The thai iced tea could have been better, but it's not something I get very often. It's kind of a waste of cash.

As the restaurant got busy, there was no pressure to leave, no coming back around asking "can I get you something else?" and every waitperson who walked past me smiled and said hi.

Good experience. No, great experience. My bill? $9 total for a huge meal that I would have doggie-bagged had I been heading home right after. And as I walked out the door, I saw three other people eating alone. All of them seemed comfortable and happy, which is how it should be when you go out to eat sans company.

No comments:

Post a Comment